When Grandparenting isn't Fun

Impossible, you say. Everyone knows that being a grandparent is a barrel of fun. And yes, it is, until someone gets sick.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/24/campus-norovirus-outbreak-sickens-200-college-students/

The Evil Norovirus attacked my granddaughters and me with a vengeance this week, and it took no prisoners. My daughter called me Tuesday and asked me if I could come help her because the baby was sick. Being the loving mother and grandmother I am, I of course went to give her some time to rest and clean and run to the grocery store. Three-year-old granddaughter entertained me and we played while the little one slept. 

Asleep on the "Coco-pedic." As much as I hate for them to be sick, I do love the cuddling.

The next morning I got word that TYO was now sick. Before I raced to the rescue I noticed that my stomach was a little off but I told myself it was nothing. At D's house I held towels next to my sweet G's mouths as they vomited and held them when they cried. I helped D clean up around the house when I could. Just after lunch my own tummy announced its displeasure. I made the wise decision to go on home, not wanting to leave the girls but afraid of what might happen if I didn't. Turns out I made the right choice.

They stayed here all day.  So not normal.


My tummy had my north and south poles revolting all night long and into the next morning, leaving me weak and five pounds lighter. (That last part didn't last!) Yep, all that grandma loving left me wide open for some norovirus love. And if that's love, I'd hate to see the hate!

Too sick to play with the new Play-doh set Mommy got her.


My daughter sent me some information she found on Reddit, which said in essence that the way the norovirus spreads is by being spewed forth in bodily fluid eruptions from the body. The virus causes fluid to be drawn from all over the body to provide a medium for itself. Horrible. All I need to convince me to wash my hands and disinfect all contacted surfaces. Another interesting tidbit? The usual disinfectants won't kill the norovirus, so she ordered special wipes from Amazon. You can get them here, as well as other products that will kill viruses.

Baby during a burst of energy before bed.

It's been six days, and still the girls don't feel like themselves. TYO is still lying on the couch, but she is at least eating and playing a bit.  Baby eats well and plays, but tires easily and is fussy.  This old coot sprang back after two days, and even went to work yesterday. 

Happier days. . .


It's hard to see my sweet grandbabies not feeling well. I'd give anything to chase them around outside, even while sweating in the 95-degree heat. I want to hear them giggling, whining, and even fighting with each other. They are the sunshine of this granny's life, and I pray there'll be many more sunny days ahead. Please God, make my babies feel good again.

XOXO

#norovirus #virus #stomachflu #illness #grandparenting #grandchildren

Labels: , , , , ,