Moving to the country



Sometime during my first grade year or between my first and second grade year, we moved to the tiny community of Carroll.  Daddy had taken a job with Snig Milam, a local hay farmer/cattleman, and we rented a house on County Road 420.  Our landlord was Floyd Moseley, so we always called that little house the Moseley house, and it is still there today. #farmhouse #farmhousestyle

https://thinkingcowgirl.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/what-have-the-cows-been-doing-this-week/

Across the old blacktop road from the house was and is a pond, and up the road about a quarter mile was where our closest neighbors the Hobbs family lived.  James Hobbs was my age, and he lived there with his grandparents.  They had old appliances and other junk in their backyard and I enjoyed playing house there.  Those appliances would be considered dangerous these days, but it never crossed my mind to crawl inside of anything, as I imagine some kids would. #junkstyle #junklove

There was also a big tree that had probably been struck by lightning and fallen over in their pasture, and I loved climbing on it.  There was something magical about being able to clamber all over the branches that I would have never been able to reach had the tree been standing upright.

My first grade school picture.  I believe that dress was green.

The old Moseley house held lots of memories for me.  I can still remember the layout of the rooms, how there was a bathroom and laundry room that had been added after the house was built.  I remember sitting on the washing machine with Mama so it wouldn't bounce out of place.  It was fun to hum while sitting there.  Boy, that machine would get going. #familylife

The old Moseley house is still inhabited and has stayed very much the same!


The bathroom was located just off the living room, which would have been a little strange if it hadn't been added on later.  The living room had a fireplace and was located at the back of the house rather than the front.  Next to the living room was the kitchen, and in front of the kitchen was a bedroom that you had to pass through to get to the front two bedrooms.  The front bedroom had a front door with a porch.  I suppose that room could have been used as the living room, and I believe we did, because I remember watching the original Batman series on TV in there.

http://radioaparato.com/anuncian-el-lanzamiento-en-dvd-de-la-serie-de-tv-de-batman


Out behind the house just over the barbed wire fence sat an old outhouse, used by the tenants before indoor plumbing was introduced.  (The reason the bathroom was added to the house.) It was a creepy, hot, tall one room structure, and I believe it had two holes built into a bench for sitting, along with old catalog pages littering the bench and floor.  I only peeked inside a couple of times.  It was too yukky and scary for me.  I imagine my brother probably explored it more than I did, but we were only 5 and 6, so I don't know how brave we were.  I had a healthy fear of getting into trouble myself.

https://etsy.com/listing/88668276/8-x-10-outhouse-country-decor-country


But we were brave enough to walk the quarter mile to the neighbors, I suppose.  We had strict instructions not to go inside their house, so it was a long walk (or run) back to the house when nature called.  Mama didn't seem to let us go to their house very often, or at least not as often as we wanted to. 

My second grade school picture with the bangs Mama cut.


Later:  World Book Encyclopedias, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, tornado warning, learning to ride a bicycle.

XOXO




Labels: , , ,