The Tooth Fairy's Dime

I believe I was six when I lost my first tooth.  I don't remember a lot about it except like the ones I lost after the first one, it became so loose I could twist it around in my mouth.  If that happened to me as an adult I would freak out.  I mean, your tooth hanging from a cord twisting around on your gum?  Ew.  Anyway, I messed with it and messed with it until it finally just fell out.  Like the tidy person that I was and still am, I threw it away.


My uncle J heard about my tooth falling out.  He asked me if the Tooth Fairy had picked it up.  I'm sure I must have said, "Who?" or "What's a Tooth Fairy?"  No one had told me about the Tooth Fairy.  Surely my parents knew my tooth was loose.  Maybe they had forgotten to tell me?  I don't know, but Uncle J told me that if I put my tooth under my pillow at night, the Tooth Fairy would come in the night, take it, and leave money under my pillow.

See the source image
https://preternaturalpost.wordpress.com/category/vox-populi/




A bit skeptical, I figured it was worth a try so I fished my tooth out of the trash, told my family about it, and stashed it securely under my pillow before I fell asleep that night.  But not until I had touched it at least twenty times to make sure it was still there.  I worried it might get lost during my sleep.  Would the Tooth Fairy know about my tooth being there?  Did he or she know where I lived?

Thrilled.  I was beyond thrilled when I checked under my pillow in the morning.  Not only had the Tooth Fairy found my house and my tooth, but there was a shiny Mercury dime in its place!  Okay, a dime isn't much nowadays, but back then, you could buy two candy bars at the school snack bar with a dime.  Or you could save it and when you got a few more, you could buy a pretty darn good toy at the dime store.  I suppose the dime store could be compared to today's dollar store, but there's nothing like the peculiar, wonderful smell of a dime store.

See the source image
https://roadsidenut.wordpress.com/2010/08/07/day-14-more-from-iowa/



Occasionally while driving through a small town I will spy an old five-and-dime storefront, but the store itself usually has morphed into a more modern business.  But back to the Mercury dime.  I learned from my daddy that the dime had a picture of the mythical Mercury character known for his speedy delivery of messages.  The only thing that interested me about the dime, though, was its purchasing power.  I wish I had kept that old dime but at least I have the memory of my first visit from the Tooth Fairy.

Image result for mercury dime

What about you?  What did you get from the Tooth Fairy?  Did you frequent five-and-dime stores?

Until next time,
XOXO

Labels: , ,