When Grandchildren are Jealous

I had a wonderful Mother’s Day.   What made mine extra special is that I had both of my grandchildren here at the same time.  My son and daughter came to a family lunch at my parents’ home with their spouses and my grandchildren, and I couldn’t have been happier.  They couldn't have given me a better gift.  What a special day!  What a blessing!

My mother and sister and I made preparations for the lunch by making our families’ favorite dishes, but what I was not prepared for was the jealousy of the grandchildren for my attention!  Kind of flattering, that they both wanted their Coco’s full attention!  Evie was NOT happy that she had to share me with Kip, and Kip did NOT like her playing with the toy car he had been playing with!



I don’t get to see him very often, so I made it a point to play with Kip, because I see Evie several times a week.  At one point I looked over from the living room into the dining room and caught her staring at me.  She immediately wanted down from her high chair and then came over and began to play with the toys Kip had been playing with.  That’s when he grabbed the toy car and said, “Mine!” 



Being the grandmother of two toddlers wanting my attention at the same time was certainly a challenge but I loved it!  I just hope they will get to know each other and learn to love being together.  That would make this grandma very happy.




How about you?  Do you have grandchildren or children who vie for their grandparents’ attention?

XOXO

Labels: ,