(Mis)Adventures in Deer Hunting (Part 2)

So sorry to keep you waiting!
After hearing about that near death experience with wasps, I'm sure you've been on pins and needles waiting to hear the rest.
Okay, you win.
Here goes. . .



Even the photo gives me the willies.
Image from here

I wish I could say I saw the biggest buck
I'd ever seen and proceeded to prepare him 
for dinner but it wasn't to be so.


Wouldn't I love to see this guy from our blind?
Image from here


After Hubby and I had settled down from the mass murder of the wasps, we waited for the sun to come up.

It's my favorite part of the hunt, actually.
You really can't see anything, but the woods are anything but quiet as the world begins to wake up and get ready for the new day.


Image from here

Hubby's ears were tuned for the tell-tale sounds of wildlife while I just tried to sip my coffee in the dark without spilling it.  #lovemystanleythermos

"Did you hear that?  Look through your scope," he whispered.  "Over to the left.  There's something under the feeder."

"What is it?  How am I going to see anything?"  I whispered back.

"I put that light on your scope.  Just press the end of the cord with your thumb."


Image from here

Easy for him to say.  I finally figured out how to hold my rifle while pressing on the little pad that turned on the infrared light.
To my amazement I found the source of the noise Hubby had heard.

A wild pig was enjoying his breakfast, gobbling up the corn dropped by the deer feeder about 30 yards from us.  His eyes glowed eerily in the red light.


Image from here

If you know anything about wild hogs, you know that they are multiplying like crazy and decimating crops and ruining landscapes.
They compete with other animals for food and threaten their habitats.
Like rodents, they need to be eradicated.


Image from here

But in spite of all that, the little guy was kind of cute gobbling up that corn.
Responsible me took aim behind its eyes, and after several seconds, fired.

And missed.

Seriously?
I can't believe I missed.  Later in the light Hubby looked all around for evidence of a kill, but there was nothing.
And we saw nary a deer that day.

Oh well. . .maybe next time.
Dumb little pig.
Or dumb hunter, smart pig.
And super smart deer.


Image from here

Stay tuned.

XOXO

Labels: , , ,