Sitting Saturday: A Cacophony of Cows (or How to Sit Quietly for Four Hours)

Okay, let me just say that I have a hard time sitting still.  Just ask my family.  They say I fidget constantly in church--messing with my jewelry, flipping through the hymnbook, flicking off my chipped nail polish, reading ahead in the Scriptures--you get the picture.  Now imagine me sitting in a deer blind, trying to keep still AND quiet for FOUR straight hours!

Not an easy task.  Add cold, damp, and dark.  But I did it today, sitting next to Hubby, waiting for a deer to stroll within range of our sight and rifles.  Hubby assured me that he had seen three deer in the last two days.  Today was my first opportunity to go with him this season so I bundled up, packed up, and loaded up and went with him.  Fortunately our hunting spot is on my brother's property only a few minutes away.  We have killed three deer and a pig on his small acreage!

Unfortunately, all was too quiet this morning.  We did spot a couple of cows, though.  Too bad they are not in season...
And a couple of squirrels.  Plus we heard an owl hoot very nearby.  Twice.
After the sun came up, the cows began to call to each other very noisily.  Herds of cows mooing like crazy.
But no deer.  Not this morning.

So. . .it was back home to rest our weary sitters and catch up on the sleep we lost getting up at 5:00 a.m.  Maggie my Boston terrier woke me up at 3:00 p.m. to let me know that my daughter and son-in-law had come in.  


Who, me?

They moved more of her stuff to their new home, and after they left, Hubby says to me:  "Let's go back.  Not as long this time.  Only an hour or two.  We already have everything ready to go."

Okay.  I have to do this for him.  After all, he has hauled boxes and boxes of junk for me recently, not to mention the Scampventure.
More sitting.

This time not so cold.  And lo, and behold, four small deer run across our line of sight in the woods, going too fast to even give us a chance to raise our rifles.  But at least we saw something!  Adrenaline flowed, hope renewed.  We'll be back.

Oh, yes, not just for the deer, but to make sure we put out more corn and Swamp Donkey attractant.  The cows love it.  The deer?  They just ignore it and keep on moving.
Oh well, at least somebody's happy.

Inside the blind:  scary, blurry, and I don't look nearly as good as he does!

The pretty view outside the front of the blind.  Most of the leaves are still on the trees.

The front window cover has hinges that allow it to fold down.

Breakfast of champions:  a Clif bar in White Chocolate Macadamia.  Then there's a doe bleat and a chair cushion to rest hubby's rifle on.

My early morning snack:  peanut butter filled pretzel bites!  Yum!

A view of the deer stand I use during archery season.  A sore elbow ruined it for me this year.

Locking up our homemade blind until the next time.  No critters or explorers allowed!

Great white hunter with his shotgun.

Are you a deer hunter?  Please share!

XOXO