Teacher Tuesday: Another school year gone. . .

Image from here



I was at my doctor's office today getting a bone density screening (yes, I'm that old) and the technician said, "So, you teach?"
Of course I told her I had retired last year, so she congratulated me and proceeded to tell me that she used to be a school teacher and sometimes wanted to go back. 

I could not encourage her!

The noblest profession is fast becoming one of the least desirable.  New teachers are leaving early and seasoned teachers are longing for retirement. 

This medical technician doing my screening told me that her friend, a fifth grade teacher, felt the same way I do.  Teachers are becoming more and more powerless as administrators bow to demanding parents who will not allow their children to experience disappointment, failure, or consequences.
Until parents respect the teaching profession and the teachers' ability to provide the best education for their children, and allow teachers and administrators to provide the necessary discipline to provide an optimum learning environment, things will continue as they are or get even worse in our public schools.

Image from here
Trashing my profession is not my intent, by the way.  I actually miss teaching!  I miss the experience of seeing students take in new information and learn.  I miss the camaraderie between colleagues, and I miss greeting my students as they walk in the door.  I have wonderful memories of my days as a teacher and administrator.  I just hope that those still in the profession will be able to say the same.  

Image from here
Summer vacation gives educators a much-needed break and energizes them for the coming school year.  Let's hope that they will be excited and enthusiastic when they return in August.
I pray that it will once more become a profession I can recommend to others!

XOXO






Labels: , , ,