Saturday Ramblings: Self-image vs. reality

The other day I got ready for work, thinking I looked really cute in my jeans, ruffled lacy tank, and lace zipper jacket.  I work one day a week at Festival of Flags, a little gift-wrapping and flag shop in Tyler. Unfortunately we weren't very busy so no one got to see how cute my outfit was!  

The next Thursday I dressed even cuter, and we had more business but not even one person made a comment about my outfit!  

Today I realized why.  I was shopping at a darling little boutique in Canton called LaurieAnna's Vintage Home, and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  There seems to be a HUGE difference in my perception of myself and how I really look to the world.  My grandmother used to sum it up with these words:  "I look in the mirror and I ask, 'Who is that old woman?'"

Because you see, walking past that mirror was not the cute young woman I expected to see, but a chunky middle-aged woman with more than a bit of a muffin top and double chin.  What the heck?  When did THAT happen?  I mean, I check myself in my mirror at home before I venture out into the world, but I certainly don't see the image I see when I am in public!

Oh well.  Who wants a skinny grandma, I always say.  Not that I'm a grandma yet, but I could certainly pass for one.  I guess I'll always be 25, thin, and cute in my mind.  Now to find mirrors that lie, at least a little.


Image from here  Me, in my mind's eye

Image from here  In the mirror

Seriously.  Does anyone else have this issue?  Please let me know.  In the meantime, I will continue to dress in cute outfits and avoid mirrors.  
XOXO

Labels: , , , , ,