FOLK Magazine's Journal Challenge: My Favorite Trip of All Time

This week's journal prompt from Folk Magazine mentions that this is the time of year when people begin planning summer vacations.  They then ask us to tell about our favorite vacation of all time, and then explain what makes it so special.

Another tough one, but out of all the family vacations I have taken in my life, first as a child with my family, then as a parent with my own children, I would have to choose the vacation that my son took me on just after he graduated from high school.

I will never forget when he asked me.
"Let's go to New York, Mom," he said.
I had to laugh.  "Yeah, right," I said.
"No, really.  I'll pay for it with my graduation money.  If you will buy the food, I will cover the hotel and flight."
Suddenly a real live trip to a real live place that I never thought I would ever in a million years be able to visit became a possibility.  (That is SOME sentence, even for an English teacher. . .)

Soon, we found ourselves in the middle of a big ol' city with not a clue as to how to get around.  My son is a pretty smart young man and he figured it out for us.  And this was pre-GPS and internet on your cell phone.  I will never forget the landmarks and sights we beheld, or the rush hour subway traffic and street vendors, or the way New Yorkers use their feet like Texans use their cars.  My feet were so sore one night I had to sit down in the shower!

Matt and me at Maxie's in Times Square.  It was June, 2002.

But the thing that will stick in my mind forever is the fact that Matt invited me, his mom, to go with him when he could have invited any of his friends or other family members.  What a privilege for a mom to be included in a once-in-a-lifetime experience with her teenage son!

On Liberty Island with Manhattan behind us.  Gotta love those plaid pants!  And I was a redhead back in those days. . .

We had such a great time that I was invited AGAIN two years later to go with him and his best friend before Jordan entered the Army!

Yep, it was a great trip with a great kid.  I'd have to rank it up there as my all-time favorite.  

What would be your favorite trip of all time?

XOXO


Labels: , , , ,