At Home Monday A.K.A. Meaningless Drivel Monday

That new title "Meaningless Drivel Monday" is my sister's contribution.  I told her that I needed to work on my blog, and she said it in jest, but I actually like it!  So, from now on, At Home Monday is Meaningless Drivel Monday.  A little more descriptive of my blogging, don't you think?  *chuckle*

A rag shower curtain I made and sold to order.

Today I finished up a three-part rag curtain order.  If you have looked at my Etsy shop, you know that I sell custom rag curtains.  I got the idea from a bridal show I went to with my daughter and actually made one to use in her wedding.  After the wedding I decided to try listing it on Etsy and taking custom orders.  Since then I have had several orders, even if by only one customer, but word is spreading.  I put my original curtain in my booth at Uniques & Antiques and this past week it sold!

The first rag curtain I made and sold to order.  The customer uses it in her kitchen.

I purchase my fabric (usually curtains and tablecloths) from thrift stores and cut them into strips that I tie onto jute twine.  It is a labor-intensive and time-consuming job, but very rewarding.  I have to measure each strip and the length of the twine to customer specification, but cutting the strips doesn't have to be precise at all.  Jagged and raveled edges just add to the overall charm.

I found out quickly that I did not charge enough for the time and labor, so I will be adjusting my prices to reflect that.  I still plan to offer a better product for less.

I plan to make some rag curtains for my Scamp trailer as well.  I plan to add among the burlap, tulle, and muslin some of the upholstery fabric I used in the cushion covers.  I can't wait to start on those!

The rag curtains also make cute skirts, like the skirt on the old chair I made a couple of weeks ago.  (that post here)  I also think they would make cute gypsy prom skirts, but I haven't gotten that far yet.  Don't tell anyone!  ; )

Rag curtain or skirt, anyone?
www.etsy.com/shop/acoker59

XOXO











Labels: , , , , , , , , ,