CHEAP WEDDING WEDNESDAY: DIY Shower Invitations

One of the neat things about being a bride is having a bridal shower.  Usually friends or colleagues or the church you belong to will throw one for you if you are the bride, but my daughter had no one in those areas available to do it for her.  As her mother I definitely wanted her to have that experience and--is this tacky--the gifts, too!  

I scoured all the wedding magazines, books, and websites I could find looking for advice on family members throwing wedding showers.  They confirmed my belief that it was inappropriate for the mother of the bride to throw a wedding shower for her daughter--it would look like I was asking for gifts--but all agreed that another family member such as a sister or aunt could properly do so.
There is no sister, and there is only one aunt living near us, so my sister Sharon had the wonderful privilege of being solicited to throw the shower!  As wonderful as my sister is, she agreed, with very little trepidation.

Sharon is creative, so I knew she would do a memorable job, and I also promised her I would do the same for her daughter someday.  Nothing like a little bribe, huh?  Just kidding.  She said she was happy to do it.  I choose to believe her.

I have actually already shown the shower decor in a previous post.  This time I wanted to show you the invitation she came up with, designed by herself with materials she had at home:  computer, printer, ink, stickers, bits of ribbon, and scrapbook paper.  She printed the information on plain paper, tore the edges, and then glued them onto pretty scrapbook paper.  She also used different scrapbook paper so there were different designs, all put together by hand.  She did such a great job that I wished I had gotten her to do the wedding invitations!


Cute, don't you think?  She didn't stop there.  She also created a handmade gift record by cutting several sheets of scrapbook paper and stationery and tying them with jute twine to a brown piece of paper.  Very clever and fitting for the vintage theme!  And very CHEAP!


Wonder how much less creative we would be if we had all the money in the world to buy every little thing?  What is that old saying, "Necessity is the mother of invention?"  It is the same with creativity.  It takes need to bring it out!  See what you can create. . .

XOXO




Labels: , , , , , , ,