RANDOM FRIDAY ON SATURDAY: Glorious Rainy Day. . .

Today I got to actually live a dream:  a Colorado-like summer day in the middle of a Texas August!  And I wasn't dreaming!  Clouds began to build early in the day, and it became overcast and surprisingly cool, so I grabbed a magazine and decided to get some use out of the front porch swing.  Lucy the cat, in a much better mood in 80 degree temps than in 95+, joined me on the swing and batted at a weather-worn toy I had placed on one arm rest last summer.


My sister made me this sign for Christmas.  Cute, huh?


We sat there, Lucy purring contentedly, I relaxing while flipping through a couple of magazines I had saved for such an occasion.  I really thought it would be later in September before I could do so.  Trying to enjoy a late afternoon or early evening swing on my front porch on a typical August day is more like sitting in a sauna where someone released a bushel of mosquitoes and flies.  Not a pleasant prospect for someone who would have melted in a hoop skirt and corset back in the days BAC (before air conditioning).  Those antebellum Southern women must have been made of something else.  I guess they would have enjoyed air conditioning, too, if they'd had the chance.  How spoiled we would seem to them!  There are many things I am nostalgic for, but hot summer days without the miracles of electricity and a/c are NOT among them!


Little Lucy enjoying the unusually cool afternoon.
Yes, the swing needs painting and the window needs shutters. . .we're getting to it!

Sit down and swing, Mommy!

My ride sits out in the rain while my daughter's ride is repaired
by my husband (always something) in the carport.  It needed a bath anyway.
I'm sure it will be back to the steamy dog days of summer soon, but at least today was a lovely respite from the relentless heat.  The green grass of spring has given way to crunchy straw and dirt.  If you look closely at the photo above, you can see that even the porch posts have bent from past summer heat.  It ain't for sissies!  Meanwhile, we will wait eagerly for the cooler temps of fall. . .
Ap ril  
xoxo



Labels: , , , , ,