Why I'm Happy School is Starting Again

Ah, back-to-school time.  That season of the year when store shelves are brimming with shiny new pens, markers, notebooks, and lunch boxes, and clothing racks are stuffed with fashions for going back to school.  Parents groan because of the expense of equipping the kids with everything required for the new school year--but those shoes fit in May!  Kids groan because their summer is too short, and the reminders start in July with back-to-school sales--can't they at least wait until August?  Teachers groan because their summer is too short--wait, I need more time off!

Image result for back to school
Source

The rest of the world--civilians as I used to call them--gives a sigh of relief that life will finally settle into a familiar routine of the kids being off the streets, out of the shopping centers, and in the schools for at least eight hours a day.  Sorry, teachers, I feel your pain.  After all, I was one for 30 years myself.

That is the number one reason I'm happy that school is starting. . .

1.  I'm retired!  I don't have to worry about endless staff development meetings when I would rather be in my classroom preparing for the first day of school.  I don't have to spend money buying extra school supplies for the students in my classes who won't have them.  I don't have to wonder when I'll find the time to prepare my lessons, grade papers, schedule meetings, call parents, and worry about ARDs, LEPs, IEPs, STARR, ADA, AEIS, RTI, TEKS, TELPAS, STEM, BS, and CRAZY!

2.  Fall is around the corner.  Sayonara, summer, with your 100-degree temperatures (I shouldn't complain--we've only had one day of those so far this year!). . .bring on those dead leaves, pumpkin spice lattes, boots, and sweaters!

Image result for hot summer
Source

3.  I can go to the store during the day and every aisle won’t be filled with parents and children getting in the way. . .IF I go before 3:00 p.m.

4.  I won’t have to compete for doctor and dental appointments with teachers and students.  I’ll be able to get an appointment for whenever I need it. . .maybe.

5.  Those school facilities I pay enormous taxes on will again be in use.  (How many times did I hear this when I was teaching?  Ugh.)

6.  Tax-free weekend happens in August (at least here in Texas), and you don’t have to be a teacher or student to buy clothes or supplies minus the sales tax.  But it’s crowded!


Image result for tax free weekend
More info here

7.   Back-to-school shopping means a sneak peak at the new fall fashions. 

8.  After the back-to-school season comes Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, the good, better, and best parts of the whole year.

Those are the reasons I am glad school is starting back up again.  I’ve always been happy to see school start, ever since I was old enough to start getting new clothes and school supplies.   I guess I have teaching in my blood.

Image result for back to school
Source

What about you?  Is back-to-school a good thing for you?

Labels: , ,