For My Girl Miranda


Unless you've been living under a rock, you have heard about Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton's divorce after only four years of marriage.  As one of Miranda's former high school teachers and one of the two teachers she chose for the Teachers Count poster campaign and invited to the sold-out Nashville Rising flood relief concert and her private engagement party in 2010, I have been asked several times about my reaction to the news.

photo-miranda-lambert.jpg
That's me on Miranda's left.
TeachersCount.org


That's me walking past the camera at the engagement party outside Nashville.

That's Miranda's mother Beverly behind me.

Like everyone else, I couldn't believe it at first.  I had hoped their relationship was different from the usual celebrity marriage.  I know her parents, who have had a solid marriage for over thirty years, and I know that Miranda's expectations were to have a similar relationship to theirs.


Me and Miranda at the Texas State Fair in 2009.

 But the pressures on celebrities must be great, and even greater for celebrity couples, especially if both are superstars who have responsibilities and appearances that keep them apart for weeks on end.

Me and Miranda before one of her concerts at Billy Bob's Texas in Fort Worth.

I'm not surprised, but I have to admit that I am disappointed.  I had hoped Blake and Miranda would prove the doubters wrong, that others could look to them as an example of true love and commitment as their marriage endured, and as they rose above the chaos, criticisms, and challenges of their careers.



My son Matt and I after her first concert at Billy Bob's Texas.


Miranda with another one of my students in my classroom in 2002.


Miranda with Blake at Cause for the Paws in Tyler, Texas.

But no matter.  I still love you, Miranda.  I love your music, which I will continue to listen to and purchase, although many of the songs are bittersweet now. But how much more difficult are they for you as you must continue to sing them night after night?  I am still very proud of you and the way you have handled yourself under the microscope of public life.  I pray for your happiness and continued success, and I am confident that you will get through this and become stronger than ever.  Of course and as always, I am here for you if you ever need me.

XOXO

"Mama, I'm okay out here, I've seen how hard the world can be.  My step is sure and I know my name.  I'm strong just like you prayed I'd be.  I'm strong just like you prayed I'd be."  from Miranda's Kerosene album



Labels: , , , , , ,