Meaningless Drivel Monday: E-conundrum

I'm in the middle of a dilemma.  A conundrum. An e-conundrum.  My Blackberry Torch cell phone is acting up and I cannot decide upon my choice for replacing it.

I like my Blackberry.  My son got me hooked on it when he became the Blackberry troubleshooter for his former employer.  A former Palm Pilot user--remember those?--I dreamed of a device which would incorporate the features of a cell phone with those of a Palm Pilot.  
Image from here
And voila!  The Blackberry with its cute little keyboard, the Qwerty, was made available to the masses.  All the high power executives carried them.  I don't fly much but when I did, it seemed all the suits in first class had their eyes glued to their Blackberrys (ies?) while the rest of us boarded.  The Blackberry cell phone seemed way out of reach to me.  
Until. . .
my son got an upgrade and gave me his old one.
Image from here

Now I was in a different circle, on a different plane! (pun unintended)  I had a "cool" cell phone!  Of course I couldn't afford the data plan, but at least I could type my text messages on the cute little keyboard.  My euphoria and self-importance were short-lived, however.
Apple came out with the iPhone and EVERYBODY who was ANYBODY got one.  I was suddenly one of the old-fashioned, technophobic, fuddy- duddies who refused to move into the 21st century with all the cool people.
Image from here

And I have been digging my heels in ever since.

When the new Blackberry Torch came out with its touch screen, I couldn't wait to get one.  At last I would be equal to the iPhoners.
Image from here
But according to them, it just isn't so.  I'm on my second Torch now, and it is time for an upgrade.  My children have been exerting mild pressure for me to just give in and get an iPhone.  But I don't want to be one of the iGeneration.  "Broad is the way that leads to destruction," the Bible says in Matthew 7:13.  I want to stay on the narrow path.  (I doubt that Scripture is referring to cell phones.)

Then there is the new Galaxy S4, an Android.  When I was growing up, an Android was one of those robots on Star Trek that looked exactly like a human.  
Image from here
Now it's a cell phone.  I know a couple of people who have one of those, but they are not impressed with the battery life.
Plus, it's kind of big to be sticking into my bra when I don't have a pocket.
Image from here
So, I am vacillating between sticking with Blackberry, getting an iPhone, or trying an Android.

It's a dilemma.  A conundrum.  An electronics conundrum.  An e-conundrum.  And it's mine.  I like the sound of it.  I may milk it awhile.

XOXO

Labels: , , , , , , , ,