Teacher Tuesday: FOLK Magazine 2013 Journal Challenge

Today's challenge prompt (no doubt inspired by St. Patrick's Day):  Do you believe in luck?  When have you found a rainbow and a "pot of gold" at the end of a gloomy day?

I'll address the first question first.  No, I don't believe in luck.  What? Why?  If we believe what the Bible says about the providence of God, and I do, then there is no room for luck.  The Bible teaches that all things are engineered by God, in His time, and for His purposes.  Oh boy, that opens up a can of worms.  You mean God engineers bad things, like the attacks on 9/11?  Like abortions?  Like horrible accidents, painful disfigurement, and sickness?  Like war, hunger, torture, neglect, and abuse?

If you read the book of Job, you find out that God allows suffering in order to bring about His purposes.  He did not invent sin, but through sin, suffering and death entered the world.  He doesn't cause bad things to happen, but He does allow the consequences of sin to take their course.  "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."  Romans 6:23.  Study the books of Genesis and Exodus, and read the books of Job and John if you are interested in delving deeper.

So, instead of telling someone "Good luck," I should say, "May God's will be done," or "Go with God."  
Image from here

As for when I have found a rainbow and pot of gold at the end of a gloomy day, that's an easy one.  I remember coming home to my darling babies at the end of a hard day at work, and there they were, my little rainbows who brought me tremendous joy as I saw their little faces.  I still find my rainbow when I come home to find my husband already home, and when my three dogs greet me with wagging tails and rejoicing.



The pot of gold at the end of a gloomy day is my beautiful family and my humble home.  I am indeed blessed, and I will never take that for granted.  Thank you, Lord!

XOXO




Labels: , , , , ,