Random Friday: When Country was Country?

Miranda Lambert, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Little Big Town,  Dierks Bentley, Brad Paisley, Trace Adkins, Reba McEntire.
All big names in today's country music.
Then there are Dwight Yoakum, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, Clint Black, and many others.

But these are not really country music artists to a certain generation.  According to my father's generation, REAL country music includes names like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Bill Anderson, and many others.  This is the music I grew up on, what my parents call REAL country music.


Daddy came across this old magazine the other day called Country Song Roundup dated December 1969.  Check it out. . .


I love the way the pages have aged, and the difference in the fonts.  No glossiness here!



Remember Tommy Cash?  He appeared on the Johnny Cash Show back in the early 70's.  I had forgotten about him!  (no offense, Tommy!)




Can you imagine subscribing to a magazine for $3.50?  Still hard to come by for many in those days.



The teacher in me found this last page interesting.  It seems even in 1969 there were alternative ways to earn a high school diploma!

It was entertaining and educational flipping through the pages of this magazine which is now a piece of history.  And whether or not you believe that today's country music is the REAL deal, you have to realize that no matter what it really is, it goes by that name anyway.  There is at least one country music star who acknowledges that she owes her success to the country music of her parents and grandparents.  Miranda Lambert counts among her idols Merle Haggard and Loretta Lynn.

Image from here

"Who would you most like to have dinner with living or dead?

I'd have to say Merle Haggard. He's my No. 1 inspiration and my hero. I've been reading a lot about him lately and learning more about him, and I think he'd be a very interesting person to eat dinner with ... I've met him a few times. It's been kind of quick; there's always handlers and people around rushing us everywhere. But to just sit down and talk with him would be a really cool experience. "

(http://www.theboot.com/2009/10/16/11-questions-with-miranda-lambert/)



Image from here
“Loretta is one of my biggest heroes,” Miranda said. “I think she and I love and believe in the same kind of songwriting – authentic, no-holds-barred country songs. I know I’ve always thought that she is one of the strongest women in music, and I hope I can set that kind of example as well. I would love to have a career like hers where I am still making music that I love well into my later years.”

(http://boards.gactv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6141011334/m/3223913757)



Is it really necessary to have

 to choose which is the REAL country?

I think you can love both.  Just like I do.

Or prefer the music of your own

generation, like my parents do.

Or the music in between.

It's all music, and I'm thankful there

are enough genres for everyone's individual

taste. 


By the way, did I mention that I was one

of Miranda's high school teachers?

Yep, I was!  More on that later. . .

XOXO



  





Labels: , , , , , ,