Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

At Home Monday: A windy, cold, Scampy day!

Remember this little gal?


I'm back to working on her again!  Today I made lots of headway painting the interior walls.  She has this weird foamy wall covering that I tried to clean with all sorts of cleaners, but nothing seemed to faze it; in fact, one cleaner I used actually left little holes!  (Must have been the bleach)  

When I figured out that no ordinary cleaner would get rid of the stubborn spots of mildew and discoloration, I decided to try spray paint.  Have you ever used spray paint in a space of only about 100 square feet?  I wore a mask, but it was still suffocating.  And the spray paint did not dry evenly and left the Ensolite wall foam stuff STICKY!  Can you imagine the hair, fur, dust, flies, etc. that would eventually end up stuck on the walls?  Gag!

So. . .I left it for awhile.  A long while.  About two years, to be exact.  Not just because I couldn't figure out what to do with the interior walls, but I took a new job that required two hours of daily commuting which didn't leave much time for Scamp restoration. Now that I am retired, I have much more time to devote to my little fiberglass gal.

One day as I rummaged through my utility closet looking for something, my eye fell on several small paint samples I had saved from our house-painting project.  It was a light bulb moment--one of the samples was light sage Behr premium ultra flat, perfect for the Scamp.  As soon as I could I was out in the camper slapping some of it on the walls.  In 24 hours, I checked it.  No stickiness, flawless coverage.  I had found my wall solution!  After a trip to Home Depot for more paint, this is what I have accomplished:


Poor little bedroom area.  Hubby and I removed the mattress, cushions, curtains, stripping her down.  Note the dirty white Ensolite walls with the yellowed tape strips.


The fiberglass compartment provides storage and covers wiring.  Hubby lifted it out to install new carpeting.   Note the new light sage walls.  The yellowed tape has been removed and will be replaced by flexible white caulking.  New cushion covers will be added to the top of the compartment, providing a base for a newly designed bedroom area which can double as a dining area if I like.


This window air conditioning unit stopped working so we replaced it with another one.  These little campers were not designed to carry a rooftop a/c unit.  Some Scamp renovators have installed a/c units in the closet or in the back window but for now we will leave it on the side.  More dirty Ensolite, and a yucky dirty mattress cover!  Ew!


That foam around the a/c unit will be replaced.  New sage paint on the walls!

I also started painting the other area, the "living area," where there will be a little bench seat near the door.  Originally it would convert to bunk beds, making room for a very cozy camping experience for four!  I will not be bothering with the bunk beds.  

I can't wait to finish painting and get the bed and seat put together with the new cushions!  I will also be painting over the woodgrain cabinet doors--not sure what color yet.  Stay tuned for the next Scampy day report!  

XOXO