TEACHER TUESDAY: That question!

I almost titled this post "That favorite question," but I was afraid the sarcasm might be lost in the translation, so to speak.  I loved teaching but there was one question that got my hackles up, rubbed me the wrong way, set my teeth on edge, and fried my banana peel.  I bet it is familiar to every school teacher out there.

Here it is:  

"Hey, Miss, what are we doing today?"  

Or its famous cousin:

"Are we doing anything today?"

Image from here


Here are some of my gut reactions to that most irritating of questions.  Why so irritating, you may ask.  I'll address that in a second.  My reactions that I kept to myself:


My list of possible sarcastic responses could go on and on, but I tried to be as professional as possible and to remember that the bodies walking through my door were not mature adults yet.  

It didn't matter that I had posted the daily agenda on the wall, in a Powerpoint on the Promethean board, AND the students were supposed to have written the week's lessons on a calendar in their notebooks.  Not to mention of course, that I had given them a preview of coming attractions at the close of the last class period!  

Oh well, no one ever said that teaching was easy. Well, I take that back.  LOTS of people say teaching is easy because teachers only work seven hours a day and get three months "off" in the summer.  Wish that were true!  

And my answer to my favorite question?  "Come on in and you'll find out!"

XOXO




Labels: , , , ,