AT HOME MONDAY: Back to the Scamp!


Remember this little guy (gal)?  I posted about over a year ago?  Or was it two years?  My husband and I fully intended to restore this little doll and use her at our deer hunting site.  (I can't call it a deer lease because we don't actually lease the land. . .it belongs to my brother and sister-in-law.)  She got put on the back burner after I got a teaching job 70 miles from home and had neither the time nor energy to devote to her. So she sat there, all forlorn and mildewy, until last week when I started working on her again!  (God bless retirement!)

We had already replaced the little air conditioner, pulled up the carpet and started putting a new piece down, removed the seat cushions and compartment doors, and scrubbed the walls and ceiling down.  However, sitting neglected for that long just invited more mildew, so it's back to square one.



Part of the dinette area bench with storage underneath.


Last week I finished painting the inside of the closet, and today I painted part of the rear ceiling and wall, using Behr Premium Plus Ultra flat latex paint in Pale Sagebrush.  I used a paint sample left over from painting our house, so I ran out quickly.  I'll have to make another trip to Home Depot before I can continue painting.  Sponge brushes work well but wear out very quickly, so I switched to a cheap two-inch paintbrush.

The unfinished floor.

New paint makes all the difference.  I am thinking about using paper on the sides and putting a base shelf on the bottom over the wheel well, so I can put a plastic drawer unit inside.  Other ideas?

Work pile on top of the front bench.  There's a porta potty behind that little door.

Unwelcome visitor on one bench.

More trespassers on the countertop!  There must be a nest somewhere.


Nothing gets your pumper pumping like glancing down while you're painting to see a red wasp about eight inches away, walking up the wall towards you.  For those of you unfamiliar, these wasps are as angry as their color and pack a very painful stinger!  Thank goodness he was wobbly because of the cooler weather.  He wore a wet coat of paint to his funeral, but no hymns were sung!  Just one big hallelujah!

I'll keep you posted on the progress of my little 1978 Scamp camper.  Now that I know what kind of paint application works, I can finish that up, finish the flooring, and get the cushions back in!  I can't wait!  I'm ready to take her on the road!

Stay tuned!
XOXO









Labels: , , , , , ,