RANDOM FRIDAY: Huh?

"Did you say something?"  This question usually follows the exasperated look Jimmy gives me when I happen to glance up from my laptop or the TV.  That look usually means I didn't hear what he had to say.

"You never listen!"  he says.  Then he refuses to repeat himself even after I explain that I was working on my blog, checking our bank account, or searching Ebay or Craigslist for the perfectly restored $1000 antique Airstream that I keep imagining in my dreams.  It's a scenario that repeats itself often, usually when he has first been talking to someone else in the room like my daughter or son-in-law-to-be and I don't really have a reason to be listening.

Image from here


But this afternoon the tables turned.  We were driving to town and passed the local drive-in theater.  Jimmy commented that he thought it had recently closed.  I replied that I saw on Facebook that they had finally gotten some new movies.  Several hours later we drove past again and I noted aloud that their marquee was lit up so they must be open.  He didn't acknowledge but started a new conversation.  (We were alone in the car.)

A few minutes later he remarked that the drive-in theater must be open because their sign was on.

"I just said that," I countered.

"We were talking about it earlier and I thought they were closed," he said.

"I know.  But I just saw the sign and said they must be open. You don't listen to me, either."

"I do listen to you," he argued.

I just looked at him.  "Yeah," I agreed, knowing full well that this little scene would repeat itself, and probably before the end of the day.

Just now, as he is watching "20-20" and I am writing this, he said, "Did you hear that?"

"What?"  I expected the usual sigh, but this time he answered my question.  

We don't argue all the time, just when one of us thinks he is right.  Note that I said "he."  Because as we all know, SHE is always right.

XOXO




Labels: ,