AT HOME MONDAY: To the East Coast from a Southerner

Today was not a good day for those on the East Coast of the U.S.A.  Tomorrow may be even worse farther inland.  Hurricane Sandy wobbled into our homeland today, and she did it with a vengeance.  Not only that, she chose the most heavily populated region of the country to make her appearance.  The cities along our Eastern shore are even collectively called Megalopolis because it is like one huge city, especially if you see the lights of our Atlantic shore from space.

Image from here
The images on TV don't begin to explain the devastation that is being felt.  As cameras record the collapse of homes, roads, businesses, and beaches, I wonder about the people whose lives are represented by those properties.  For many who evacuated as advised, there will be no home to return to, no work to report to, no road to drive, no "same old same old" to resume.

I guess my message is this, and it is to myself more than anyone who might be reading this:  when I complain because my floor coverings need replacing I need to remember that at least my floors are not covered with three feet (or more!) of filthy water.  When I complain about my raggedy furniture I need to remember that at least it is still dry and comfy.  When I dread cleaning my house I should remember that at least I have a house to clean.  And when I complain about the endless little things that irritate or annoy or require something of me, I should remember that I have a warm home, a car to drive, clean water to drink, and grocery stores with full shelves.  

We have so much to be thankful for.  And not that we should be boastful, but that we should be deeply grateful for what God has given us today, for the blessings we have today, because we don't know what may come tomorrow.  We don't know when our homes might be washed away, when our food and water may run out, when illness or death may greet us.  These thoughts would be scary indeed if we didn't know the One who promised to be with us "always, even unto the end of the world."  (Matthew 28:20)

So, I would say to those along the East Coast who are facing loss, injury, and devastation:  turn to the One who gave you all that you have.  He will see you through.

XOXO


Labels: , , , , , , ,