CHEAP WEDDING WEDNESDAY: What to Eat?

Aren't Jimmy and I cute?
When I got married 32 years ago (I can't believe it, either), standard reception fare among my family and friends was very simple.  You had a three-tier wedding cake, a chocolate groom cake, some mixed nuts, and some party mints.  I don't recall attending any wedding where we were treated to a sit-down dinner.  We did have a rehearsal dinner the night before where everyone sat down to eat, but we only invited those involved in the wedding.  
Boy, have times changed!


Nowadays wedding guests expect to be treated to a feast complete with a hot meal, lots of cake, and sometimes even a candy bar and a wet bar.  Well, Natalie's wedding will be bucking that trend as well.  We plan to start the wedding outdoors at 3:00 p.m. quickly followed by a reception under a tent where hors d'oeuvres (finger foods for all you rednecks) and cake will be served.  Guests will find plenty of tasty snack foods and be treated to a wedding cake that really tastes good.  (That was one thing we splurged on!)

Who will be catering the hors d'oeuvres?  We will!  Yes, the groom's mother and sister will provide most of the hors d'oeuvres with a few thrown in from my family.  The only hitch will be figuring out how to provide electricity for the food gadgets as well as the DJ.  We have ideas for that. . .

I don't know if we will actually have these foods, but here are some cute ideas I found on Pinterest that would be great for a wedding reception:

Veggies and dip in individual baguettes-what a great idea for a party!
image from here
wedding catering wedding hors d'oeuvres
image from here


They don't even have to be this fancy.  We are a simple Southern family with simple tastes.  I may even serve my famous creamed tacos which looks a bit like chili but goes over tortilla chips.  It is a perfect cool weather dish, and the recipe makes plenty.

So, how much money are we saving by doing all of the food ourselves?  I can't even guess. . .

I will close with another adorable picture of my honey and me.

Please forgive the poor quality. . .this was before the digital age!

We were so young but we knew we wanted to be together forever.  It hasn't been easy, but it has been worth it.  SO worth it. . .
xoxo







Labels: , , , ,