Still can't believe it. . .

I am now a retired schoolteacher.  Retired!  Me!  I remember when I first started teaching in 1982, I would look at retiring teachers or teachers nearing retirement and wonder how they stayed in teaching so long.  I didn't think I could do it.  And now, here I am, joining their ranks.

Leaving was bittersweet.  My students didn't understand why I would want to leave them.  The first year teachers in my hall didn't want me to go.  In a way they were like my children looking to me for advice and nurturing.  As a young teacher, I too, looked for those wise mentors and hung on every word they said.

I wonder if I will be able to stand it when August rolls around again and I am not preparing my classroom and my lessons.  Will I be glad I am not returning, or will I be sad?  One thing is for sure.  I have been blessed beyond measure by knowing the thousands of students I have had during my career.  Stay tuned for the next chapter. . .